The Phlebotomist will obtain and prepare specimens for analysis and performs various screening tests.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
*This list of duties and responsibility is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Verifies and completes test requisitions by comparing information with patient record; bringing discrepancies to the attention.
- Verifies patient by reading patient identification.
- Obtains blood specimens by performing venipunctures and fingerpicks.
- Enters patient charges for venipunctures, fingerpicks and testing
- Maintains specimen integrity by using aseptic technique.
- Tracks collected specimens by initialing, dating, and noting times of collection, maintaining record of draws.
- Maintains quality results by following department procedures; recording results in the quality-control log; identifying and reporting needed changes.
- Maintains safe, secure, and healthy work environment by following standards and procedures, complying with legal regulations.
- Serves and protects the clinic community by adhering to professional standards, clinic policies and procedures, federal, state, and local requirements.
- Enhances phlebotomy department and clinic reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Orders laboratory supplies and test kits to complete laboratory draws on patients.
- Problem resolution when patient issues arise. Keep the office manager informed on significant issues
- Use the Dignify System to navigate colleague relationships.
- Ask for assistance, especially as problems/issues arise, from the Office Manager as needed.
- Know what software to use when. Troubleshoot when able to then notify Office Manager.
- Suggest solutions to improve office or clinic.
- Carry out new product, services, and systems implementation as instructed by the Office Manager.
- Assist in the transition to new Wellness Way Software when available.
Training and Development
- Learn the basics of the Dignify System in regards to navigation and understanding.
- Complete additional training and continuing education as asked.
- Attend seminars and meetings assigned.
- Attend all trainings that the office manager schedules.
- Provide feedback on internal and external matters as they pertain to your office.
- Understanding of Phlebotomist role and fill in if need be.
- Passion and knowledge of The Wellness Way or the willingness to learn. Must be willing to live the lifestyle.
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel; previous computer & phone experience.
- Actively participates in online social media; TWW social media platforms/chats.
- Self-motivated and driven to promote clinical and employee growth.
- Must have the ability to work with multiple personalities, use clear judgement, work under pressure, multitask and handle emotional stress.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong communication, organizational, and time management skills.
- Quick learner and ability to be adaptable/flexible in an ever-changing environment.
- Maintain professional manner and has a bubbly personality.